12.02.2007

Festival of Trees



Friday night Jo and I had girls night just the two of us (we do not have too many girlfriends here) we had so many activities we wanted to do it was a difficult decision to pinpoint just what to do. Since we are both loving the Christmas season and all the fun festivities that come along with this time of year we headed over to the Festival of Trees. What an amazing charity event this is! It is actually a rather large production of not only pine trees big and small magnificently decorated going for thousand of dollars but, gingerbread homes very elaborately decorated, wreaths, sweet treats, play houses and dancing and singing groups. All in the name of Primary Children's Hospital. 
What a touching and humbling experience this was, seeing the photos of those whom each tree was decorated for and hearing the heartbreaking stories that came along with each loss.  I guess I should briefly explain this event... Individuals, families, and companies sponsor/donate a tree but not just any tree a tree decorated very elaborately in a theme, each tree is unique to the individual who has passed away. Wealthy families and individuals bid on these trees for thousands of dollars. All the proceeds from the entire event are donated to the Primary Children's Hospital. Last year the event raised over $1.5 million dollars. For example a young man from the BYU football passed away and his tree was decked out with autographs of the foot ball team and mass amounts of football related items. Going along with the theme are other items around the tree and everything is related. It is amazing! My favorites were the trees adorned with butterflies and the tool tree (this reminded me of my dad) it was a tree made of wire and metal decorated with tool and hardware related items accompanied by a tool box and hundreds of tools. I look forward to the day when Tim and I can do something similar to this. I would love to decorate a tree and donate it as well as bid on these amazing trees.
I often forget how fortunate I am to be a healthy thin young woman with every opportunity in front of me. I am extremely grateful for the life I am privileged to live.  Although life flies by life is short I was reminded of this as I saw photos of way too many young children and young adults whose lives ended before they had expected. Enjoy this time of year with all those you love dearly.  Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. I love that. I wish I was there to see all the trees!

    ReplyDelete